Tuesday, March 22, 2011

One step back, two steps forward.

Well, after another night of a 3 AM wake-up and more second-guessing myself regarding Julia's needs and sleep patterns, it's now 6:30 and she's still sleeping! I closed my eyes last night at 10:30 and I don't think I moved for a full seven and a half hours (I love me some wine but I sure sleep better without it)! Her night sleep was never that bad, but I don't think I've gotten this long of a completely uninterrupted sleep stretch in six months. I feel like a new person. *sighs happily*

I've also been meaning to update on this whole SAHM bit. I'm feeling much more content with my decision now. I think a large part of it has to do with the fact that I've actually been relatively successful in getting housework done and dinner at least started by the time Robert comes home. If the house is kind of clean, the baby is fed, clean, and happy, the dog is walked, and dinner is marinating at 5:00, it goes a LONG way towards making me feel like I'm holding things together and being a relatively important part of the household.

I'm also more used to things now. When I had been working more recently, I kept feeling like it was just a brief hiatus and I should be planning to go back ASAP. I feel now like this is going to be several years of a break for me - which was always the plan anyways - but I'm getting a better perspective on how much time that really is. I don't need to come up with a plan for the rest of my life RIGHTNOW. Seriously guys, I have years to figure this out. I guess the last several weeks of me telling myself that over and over have helped it sink in.

I think the bathroom remodel is also giving me a purpose. A lame purpose, yes, but it's a project at which I can focus my free time and kind of feel like I'm accomplishing something, albeit very very slowly. I've picked out tile and I'm negotiating pricing on that right now. I've made a decision on the vanity and I need to go ahead and buy it. We've been up in our attic (despite our fear of the zombie that lives up there) and explored the venting and lighting systems. Our contractor is coming on Thursday to take measurements and discuss things a little more. And I'm much closer to choosing a paint color for our bedroom and bathroom. I never thought I'd say the word "greige" as much as I have lately. I think we're going to try to start all that around the beginning of May, which feels like it's really far off, but with two week lead times and Julia and I being out of town for two weeks, is going to be here before we know it!

And I just can't wrap up a post without a photo of the babe. Look at those eyes! They're this totally perfect starburst of blue and green (thank you R!).

Pondering the ceiling fan.

1 comment:

  1. Who are you using for your contractor? E-mail me first!!!! I have the number of someone for you. He works for someone we know (the family) and construction is very slow right now, he is not getting much work there and he is amazing! You have seen our deck, right?

    ReplyDelete