Thursday, September 1, 2011

From the redwood forests to the gulf stream waters....

Yeah until I just looked up those lyrics I kept humming to myself, "From the redwood forests, to the gulf stream mountains..." which I knew wasn't right but I couldn't get it out of my head!

Anyways, when in CA, we saw - surprise - the redwood forests  at Big Sur and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The redwoods were amazing; it's hard to tell you they looked bigger in person because they look HUGE in my photos. And the aquarium was a little underwhelming. It was nice and all, sure, but I thought it was a top-five-in-the-world type place, and the Dallas Aquarium and even the Chattanooga Aquarium are both on par. Either I've managed to hit the world's top aquariums or it just wasn't that great.

Not to complain, it was still really nice. And any place that has a play area for kiddos under 2 gets a thumbs-up in my book.

Here are the photos:

Big trees.

Really big trees.

Julia is awestruck.

You know what makes really big trees even more awesome? String cheese.

So awestruck she has to keep her eyes shut.

Dad is equally awestruck.

Sisters, husband and baby. I like how Sarah's pants blend in with the trees. That was good planning, Sarah.

Maybe things will be more interesting from a different point of view.

It was beautiful.

All I can think when I see places like this is, "I wish I had been an Indian."

Obligate "up-the-tree-trunk" shot.

Look how big that tree is!

And now we go to the "gulf stream waters..." 

Totally needed those sunglasses.

Julia loved these fish. I think it was like an awesome tv show for her.

Why I don't go in the ocean.

Again.

Oh no wait. THIS is why I don't go in the ocean. Could you possibly imagine an uglier creature? It looks like something out of a video game. Blech.

Lighthearted splashing is way better.

Bouncing on the waterbed.

Julia in the coral reef and Robert looking really creepy.

Riding the fish was not a hit.



No comments:

Post a Comment