Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Our first trip to the zoo!

A friend of ours was going to the zoo yesterday morning, and since our contractor was out sick, we didn't have anything else to do, so Julia and I packed up and headed to the park. Even though there was a 50% chance of storms, our city has an awesome zoo - and best of all, it's free - so I thought worst-case scenario, we get to see some animals and then have to head home. But again, it's free, so no big deal.

We get there, meet up with our friend and her son, and head to the penguin house. Julia couldn't have cared less about the penguins, was mildly amused by the puffins, but was really fascinated by the light-up displays scattered throughout the exhibit. We start to leave and realize it's started to rain. No big deal; we put up the stroller covers and pull out the umbrellas, and we're about to head out when a zoo official comes by and tells us there's a thunderstorm warning (or something) and we all need to stay inside.

So.... we're packed into the gift shop of the penguin exhibit, since the exhibit itself is pretty chilly.

For. An. Hour.

I've never been so proud of myself for packing an extra blanket, sweater and pair of socks for Julia, since it meant we could go hang out in the exhibit a bit to keep her from getting desperately bored. I also never thought I'd be able to say I nursed my baby in the penguin exhibit at the zoo, but now I can.

They finally let us out, and while it was still raining at that point, we were able to run to the car, do a quick diaper change (times like those make me looove my SUV with the hatchback!), and head home with no more collateral damage than a wet stroller.

So we'll have to head back there sometime soon, but next time I'm going to respect the weather forecast.

Fortunately, we had plenty of time to get a few photos.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool you have a free zoo! You can go back as often as you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!! I love the penguin house at the zoo! I wish I could have gone with you guys. I could spend hours in there. I'll have to tag along with you guys sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete